Has anyone had any luck with external battery packs for the Kinect?

I’m curious for mobile capture options.

Short answer: If you know electrical theory, it’s easy to adapt a variety of batteries commonly used on film/television productions to power a Kinect v2.

Long answer: Use caution when using 3rd-party powering solutions with electronics. Failure to provide the proper power may result in a voided warranty and damage to the Kinect. Many mobile productions power their cameras, audio equipment, and all kinds of electronics using large, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, such as Anton-Bauer’s Dionic line and IDX’s NP series. These batteries output a voltage of about 13-16VDC, which is a little too much for the Kinect. If you feed the battery power through a voltage regulator that outputs a steady 12VDC, and can handle 2.67A of current (as specified on the Kinect and Kinect’s power supply), you will get hours and hours of use from just one battery.

If anyone would like to know more, I am happy to go into greater detail.

2 Likes

Hi Cory, I found this technique online and I’d love your thoughts on it:

I’m looking for a solution that is small enough to fit in a standard backpack along with a gaming laptop and the Kinect itself. I know it’s an odd ask, but i’m exploring DK use cases for journalists in the field.

• Henry

Or would you just recommend purchasing something like this?

The APC is going to be far less portable than adapting a 90AH NiMH/Lithium-Ion battery, and also might beep if you aren’t plugged into a wall, but it will work with the Kinect AC power supply out of the box with no modification.

The battery solution described in the paper requires more work to assemble up front, but will easily fit in a back pack, and be relatively lightweight, and can accommodate batteries that are readily available all over the world. (You could even hook a car battery up to it and it will work.)

Hello intrepid DK folks,

Thought I’d chime in with two methods I’ve used out in the field:

1.) The Car Battery Method

Using a cigarette lighter to DC converter to power a Kinect. There’s also a method to hook the battery straight up to the car battery so there’s no noise of the car running. Not the most mobile solution, but if you’re in the middle of nowhere and have a car around, you can be up and running in 5 minutes without much of a hitch.

Gear here:

https://bit.ly/2rrSkuN

2.) The Backpack Method

These goofy Germans explain it best:

It basically consists of a V mount battery and a converter. You’ll want at least 98W V-mount because a computer and Kinect will start to draw power fairly fast.

Hope that helps! Curious to hear if anyone here gives it a go.

1 Like