Deleting Files from DepthKit Projects

What’s the best way to delete takes from a project in Depthkit? Thanks.

@JasonGray There are two ways to delete takes from a Depthkit.

• Delete Media Files: In the Depthkit project bin, delete (or move to an external folder for safety) the folders for each recording you want to remove. This will result in a smaller project bin that’s faster to upload/download/transfer/etc., but when you open the project in Depthkit, it will result in Unlinked Media warnings (pink triangles) in the Depthkit Edit context’s Clip list.
  • Modify the Project JSON: MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO THIS! Open the dkproject.json in an editor - I like Atom because you can collapse JSON objects to navigate easily. Locate the "recordings": {...} object. Within it is a list of take objects containing all of the data of each take - e.g. TAKE_05_11_11_20_00: {...} - Simply delete (or move to a separate document for safety) the entire take object, including the contents of the curly braces (and the following comma if it’s not the last object in the list), and save the JSON. This will remove any references to those media files in the Depthkit interface, and make your clip list shorter.

Hi Cory,

I’m afraid that by the time I got your reply I had already renamed a folder in the project directory so that the nomenclature accurately reflected the take we were on and as a result the last couple of new takes created folders with that nomenclature. Now, Depthkit crashed every time I open the project folder.

I would really like to be able to use the captures we have considering all the time, effort and planning that went into getting them. Is there any way you or someone at Scatter could hop on a chat and help me figure out how to save our work?

Thanks,
Jason

@JasonGray ,

I suspect Depthkit is crashing because the recentComposition object in the dkproject.json is referencing a folder which no longer exists. See attached screenshot to see how the recentComposition object is formatted:

There are two approaches you can try:

• Rename the recording folders back to their original names. You can find these names in the JSON under the “recordings” object.

• Backup your JSON, then perform a Find and Replace and change the original names of the recordings to what you renamed the folders. Only change the recording name (underlined in red), not the composition name nested within it (underlined in yellow). Then update the recentComposition object with a value that represents the newly-renamed recording.

If these don’t get your project working, let me know and I’ll jump on a call to guide you through it.