Volumetric video performance on the Oculus Quest

Heyas! I was wondering if anyone here has been testing volumetric video performance on the Quest? We’re looking at getting developer access, but I’m worried about performance so if anyone has already done some research, let me know if you have any advice.

1 Like

@gameplaylab We’re really excited about the Quest but haven’t had a chance to directly test Depthkit on it. However we have headsets preordered so will definitely know sooner than later how they perform. That said, I know the internal architecture is very similar to mobile chipsets, so I’m assuming since Depthkit works on phones it should do relatively well on Quest as well by default.

1 Like

Just as an update we finally had a chance to play with it a bit today. The results were a little underwhelming – performance really started to fall off with just 4 clips, even with AVPro. It seemed comparable (maybe a bit better) to other mobile platforms like the Gear. The image looked great, though. And that wire-free headset-- its a thing of beauty. I’d definitely consider it for smaller project.

1 Like

Yeah that’s kind of what I was getting at with my last post — the Quest is essentially a mobile-phone platform so the performance there is not going to be what you get with a normal Oculus + gaming PC. Thanks for running it through though and verifying! Did you try different bitrates as well?

1 Like

Hello,
How did you manage to get 4 clips running at once on the Quest ? Are you using Unity ? If yes, what are your settings ?
I’m trying to test DepthKit on a quest build but I experience performance loss with only one clip and a Camera…

Hello there,
It has been a while, and at 4 clips we had unacceptable performance loss, but as I recall, there was nothing particularly special about the setup:

• Our clips were short
  • AVPro is our video player
  • I think we were on Medium for the quality
    I’m fairly certain we used the default John asset as well, which is fairly large. Our environment was custom (not the Depthkit test scene), but not totally empty. But with just one clip, our framerate was fine.
    It woulldn’t take me long to replicate the test later in the week when I’m in the studio, if it helps. Maybe there is something else we did that I’m forgetting. But honestly, the only big thing I think is the video player.
    Cheers,
    Cindy
1 Like

Since this thread has a very high view count, I’m adding a few updates here for those stumbling upon it.

We now have performant Oculus Quest support with Depthkit Studio through our Depthkit Studio Lite Renderer. This works with Built-in Render Pipeline.

Don’t miss the guide on setting up for building in Oculus Quest

Additionally, we now have integrations with both Microsoft Mixed Reality Capture Studio and Arcturus HoloEdit which enable cloud compression for Depthkit captures. This compression enables more performant support for Oculus Quest.

We’re excited to see more and more volumetric video experiences and applications coming to mobile XR platforms like Quest.

Hi James!

You mentioned that the Holoedit and MS cloud compressions enable more performant support for Quest. How does that work? Is there a way to access that type of compression via Depthkit?

@AvinashChanga, both Arcturus HoloSuite and Microsoft MRCS compression pipelines require mesh sequences from the Depthkit Studio Mesh Sequence workflow.

In either case, the resulting assets that are produced on the other end of the compression pipeline can be integrated and played into that platform’s players and SDK’s, so for example, a Depthkit Studio asset compressed to the Hcap format (Microsoft MRCS) or OMS format (Arcturus HoloSuite), would then be supported by their respective SDK’s for Unreal, Unity, integrations with 8th Wall, and more.