Experimental Depthkit Studio 5-sensor laptop configuration

Several community members have asked about a laptop that can create full-body captures with Depthkit Studio, which requires a minimum of 5 sensors.

We’ve recently successfully tested a configuration that is working for us on our team. The laptop is the Dell Precision 7670 configured as follows:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-12850HX
  • GPU: Nvidia RTX A4500
  • RAM: 64GB DDR5

Additional hardware is required to break out the computer’s Thunderbolt port to USB to provide enough supported connections and bandwidth for all of the sensors.

In this configuration, we have successfully captured 5 sensors, each set to 1440p color resolution and 640x576 depth resolution.

Bear in mind that we have performed limited testing on this configuration of hardware, unlike our Depthkit Studio Hardware packages, which are pre-configured and tested from end to end to guarantee complete system functionality.

If anyone in the community is using this or another laptop configuration, we’d love to hear about your results!

2 Likes

Hi James,

Have you tried 10 sensors capturing with Laptop?
For our current 5 sensors setting, we want to test the laptop setting. We have two candidates:
Dell ALWX14-R1888QBTW
CPU:Intel Core i7 13620H / 32GB LP-DDR5 RAM / VGA:NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 8GB GDDR6
and
ASUS G634JZ-0021A13980HX-NBLM:Intel® Core™ i9-13980HX Processor2.2 / 16GB*2 DDR5 RAM
/ NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4080 Laptop GPU

Both with 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD HDD.
Can you share some ideas with us?

Philip Han / HTC Vive Originals

Hi, @PhilipHan.

The spec which immediately jumps out at me is the GPU in both of those candidates - Both the RTX 4060 and RTX 4080 are GeForce (consumer) tier GPU’s, and will not perform as well for multi-sensor capture as the professional-tier RTX A4500 included in the Dell Precision laptop listed above. You can find more information about Depthkit Studio’s GPU requirements in our documentation.

1 Like

Hi Phillip.
I have some experience with this and may be able to assist. Please stick with the extended response! I recommend a suitably configured Dell 7780 or Lenova with 13th Gen processor and RTX A series GPU. Neither is cheap when meeting all requirements.

I set up a fixed 10 camera DepthKit Studio rig at University of the Arts London which works well with 1440p 30fps settings. I used this knowledge to configure a rig with 6 cameras now with 8 at the same settings.

My recommendation is to future proof your 5 camera objective in case you want to expand it later to currently a max of 8 Azure Kinect.

AK’s set around a 2-3sq metre stage need long cables (10-16m) for both data and power. You must use the DepthKit Studio recommended active extension cables for data and the recommended extension cables for power. Cheaper alternatives don’t work! I have tried loads.

I recommend the latest i9 13th Gen CPU as currently the 12th Gen for 8 AK runs at or close to 100% CPU utilisation with all unnecessary functions ( in my case Bitdefender which consumes 15% CPU on its own) disabled and the laptop tuned to maximum performance. I now run Bitdefender on a Netgear Router supporting Armor relieving the Laptop of this function.

A Quadro GPU (otherwise GEForce limit is 5 concurrent video encoding sessions with recent new drivers - was 3 - which limits no of cameras to perhaps 5 or 6). An RTX A5500 ran at 55% utilisation. You might therefore get away with RTX A4500 particularly with only 5 cameras but can you upgrade if you want to add more? With GeForce GPU even RTX 4090 the answer is No! Excess encoding streams revert to the less efficient and already heavily loaded CPU.

AK are very sensitive to power fluctuation particularly on a shared circuit. I found a UPS an absolute must, with Laptop and all AK’s powered through it.

Each AK needs its own dedicated 5Gbs controller. You cannot be sure of this if you use the USB-A ports on the Laptop. Also even with long active data cables connection using USB-C to C do not work, as the AK’s don’t get enough power and they intermittently start glitching! The way around this is to ensure you have a breakout box or two each requiring the laptop to have a Thunderbolt 3 port (or Thunderbolt 4) connected to each Sonnet Echo (SEL small form factor) with DepthKit Studio recommended StarTech card installed. Each supports 4 USB-A each with their own dedicated 5Gbs controller.

You need two internal fast SSD’s (7700 bps recommended) with all AK streams going to a dedicated D drive. Size of drive depends on your captures. Eg. 8 AK x 5Gbs x 60 sec x no of recording mins x no of recordings or whatever calc is relevant to you.

Get Win 10 upgradable to Win 11, until Win 11 stable enough particularly for AZ.

A laptop cooler is recommended as the laptop may likely throttle at higher temps ( Studio PC had no problem with 68degree but Laptop throttled CPU below this after 30 mins intermittent recording.

Take advice re calibration and use Cory documented or mine( dm me if you want) approach. Use their marker codes not just any aruco markers ( none the same). Otherwise expect a quality calibration to take a long time rather than 10 mins.

Use stands with a heavy base. Any movement will invalidate a calibration. I use professional weighted boom stand for overhead AK.

Pics are of 6 AK system, and packed 8 AK portable system running latest DepthKit beta without green screen and post capture real time view of stitched capture.

Check lighting. Fluorescent lighting in situ is ok if taking the rig l somewhere that has it.

That’s enough for now. Reach out if you have any further questions.

Best wishes. Terence Quinn.

2 Likes

Some pics below. First two is 6 AZ rig both packed for transportation and installed (green screen now unnecessary). Last is packed 8 AK rig with UPS etc as described.

2 Likes

Hi Terence,

Thank you very much for your generosity in sharing your invaluable experiences with us. It is very helpful and save us lots of time. I will bring this back to our team and re-evaluate the necessary of switching from desktop pc to laptop. It seems that the benefits of using a laptop are not as great as imagined.
Best regards, Philip

Copy that. Thank you Cory.
Best, Philip

My pleasure Philip. The benefit for me is portability in order to move the rig to different locations (in my car) from one college or another or to non university locations. If you are always in the same location then your conclusion is spot on. I have both fixed and portable rigs.
Please keep in touch.
All the best. Terry