StarTech PEXUSB3S44V PCIe card does not support high data rates

Hello,

We have plugged in six Azure Kinects into the StarTech PCIe USB ports. After starting the PC with plugged in Kinects or after plugging in a Kinect during runtime, we get an error message that reads, “This device supports higher data rates. This device works faster on a super-speed USB 3.0 port” (translated from German) (see attached screenshot). However, the StarTech PCIe cards provide 3.0 USB ports; therefore, the expected behavior would be that the Azure Kinects could use the full capacity of the USB ports.

StarTech PCIe low data rates

In Device Manager, the Azure Kinect is visible as:
Azure Kinect 4K Camera
Azure Kinect Depth Camera

The devices show as well in the Azure Kinect Viewer and in Depthkit.

Our setup:
Dell PC with two 5 Gbps StarTech PCIe Cards

Mainboard specs:
Vendor: Dell Inc.
Product: 0J1C3P
Version: A01

The driver specification for the Renesas USB host controllers is as follows:
Vendor: Microsoft
Date: 2022/10/13 (year/month/day)
Version: 10.0.19041.2193

The PCIe cards are plugged into a Gen3 PCIe x4 slot (4 Gbps) and a Gen4 PCIe x4 slot (8 Gbps) each.

Thank you for your help.

Jessica/HS-RheinMain

I have to double check that, but I thought to give extra USB cards full performance (to handle several Kinects) they should be plugged into a PCIe 4.0 x16 slot as “each kinect” needs to run fluent a 5GB connection. Anyway a strange error message. And as I am from Germany Ruhrgebiet it is double strange to read that kind of error when it comes to handle kinects at an Win10 system. Interesting to read that someone from the Rhein Main region is working with Depthkit.

@HS-RheinMain I spoke with StarTech to try to narrow down the issue, and they recommended the following torubleshooting steps:

• See if you can replicate the issue with any other USB3 devices. If it only appears when using the Azure Kinect, it may be an issue with the USB cables or sensor.
  • Does the message appear when plugging into both StarTech cards, or just one of the two? If just one, try swapping the cards in the PCIe slots and see if the error follows one of the cards, or one of the PCIe slots.
  • Check to ensure the motherboard BIOS, and any other system drivers are fully up-to-date.
  • If you have another PC available, try installing the PCIe cards in that computer to see if it’s an incompatibility between the cards and the Dell computer.