Unable to display capture on Exynos/Mali based Android

Hi, we have run into a problem attempting to display a Depthkit capture on Nreal Light glasses tethered to a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G. We are using the Depthkit Studio Expansion Package Phase 6. We have tested the capture on two phones (both Samsung S21 Ultra):

1. Model number SM-G998U1, Snapdragon888 with an Adreno 660 GPU
  2. Model number SM-G998B, Exynos with a Mali-G78 MP14 GPU

The capture runs fine on the Adreno GPU but not on the Mali GPU. I found the following Unity forum thread that suggests the majority of Mali GPUs don’t support compute shaders. It also suggested querying the following properties:

• SystemInfo.supportsComputeShaders
  • SystemInfo.maxComputeBufferInputsVertex

Logcat reported the following output for the Mali phone:

As you can see, it appears the Exynos/Mali based phone does not support compute shaders. Has anyone else come across this problem? Any advice or insight would be very much appreciated.

Hey, yes can confirm a similar problem unfortunately.
Here is what Tim at Scatter was able to tell me, assuming it’s the same problem, I am in Australia using a mali S10+:

“the Galaxy S10+ actually comes in two different “flavors”. The US and Chinese variants are powered by Qualcomm SoC, and the “international” version is powered by a Samsung Exynos. These two chips have different GPUs, and unfortunately the GPU in the Exynos chip (Arm Mali G76MP12) apparently does not support attaching shader storage buffer objects to vertex shaders, which leads to the shader failing to compile on the device, and ultimately ends up with the default pink visuals. A quick google of this error message pops up with other Mali users being affected by this issue as well, but I am unable to determine if it affects all Mali GPUs or only a subset of them.
…we can confirm that the Qualcomm version of the Galaxy S10+ which has a Snapdragon 855 SoC with Adreno 640 GPU does support attaching shader storage buffer objects to vertex shaders and is unaffected by this issue.”

Hope that helps clarify the issue for you

Hi @josefheks,

Many thanks for your reply and for clarifying. Yes that seems to be the same issue we are experiencing. Good to know that we are not the only ones experiencing this. I wonder is there an alternative approach to rendering Depthkit captures that doesn’t involve the use of compute shaders? Or does this mean that Exynos/Mali based phones should be disregarded?